The QHM is temporarily located at The Tavern until the Hub development is complete in early 2022. There are some displays, a small theatre, and limited research services. The below may not be on display at this time.
Geelong to Queenscliff Scooter Race
A Portrait of Nan, Nancy Allbutt, by Sir William Dargie
At the Queenscliffe Historical Museum’s 50th Anniversary Dinner in June this year, Leanne Allbutt, on behalf of her family, donated a portrait to the museum of her mother Nancy, affectionately known to all as ‘Nan’. The portrait of Nancy May Golightly was painted in June 1949 by Sir William Dargie CBE when he demonstrated portrait painting in oils at the Geelong Art Gallery . Nancy married Gil Allbutt, a local boat builder, in 1953 and was well known for her community work. She was awarded Citizen of the Year in 2014 for her service to many local organizations including the Red Cross, the Lighthouse Theatre, the Queenscliffe Maritime Museum, the Swan Bay Boat Club, and the Anglican Church. The portrait is a wonderful addition to the Museum’s collection.
A new display of farm toys dating back to the 1940s, donated by Pepita Grant of Point Lonsdale.
The toys were made by William Britain in North London, England, by hollow casting a molten mixture of lead, tin and antimony. William Britain invented the process of hollow casting in 1893 and revolutionized the production of toy soldiers. After WWII the company diversified into diecast vehicles such as the ones shown in this display.